RE: [RC] AERC NC format - Jim Holland

Actually, the only major problem I have with NCR is the FEI sanctioning.  IMHO, I think the qualifications could use some “tweaking” in the “race” category, but the “horse and rider 1000 miles together, lifetime qualified” was a great idea. I attended the two here in the SE and thoroughly enjoyed them both. The course was tough, well marked, the amenities were great, and the completion awards were nice.  One of the nicest things about it was that most of the riders were experienced, knew what they were doing, and there was a very relaxed camaraderie out there on the trail…and in camp. Got to ride with and hang out with some really good riders I had only heard about.  The atmosphere was “different”.  I will never forget all those juniors holding hands as they crossed the finish line. As with all rides, there were “racers” and “riders”. I didn’t finish high, either in my weight division or overall, nor did I try to.  As soon as Magic gets another couple of hundred miles, I will be proud to say I both of my guys are lifetime AERC National Championship qualified.  No, it’s quite the same as “ROC qualified”, but I don’t think we can go back to “the way it was”.

Perhaps the goal of AERC should be to figure out a way to have a “virtual” ROC within the NCR.  Think of it as a ROC with a bunch of us regional “riders” in the region where it’s being held going along to help pay for it. J Those riders who want to “run it off” for an overall “National Champion” can do so. The “one horse, many miles” folks still get to play, which I think is a good thing. I would support dropping the weight division awards in the NCR….I have no problem with them BEING there, but I think just an overall “Top Ten” would be sufficient. Perhaps the weight division awards “dilute” the “winner” too much…too many winners, maybe?  Since multi-day formats seem to be popular, perhaps a multi-day ride with an overall champion would make it “tough” enough for riders and racers.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Enduroride@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:52 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] AERC NC format

with their horses and riding a well marked trail but we are ALL endurance riders, thus endurance has

many faces, not just the one we like to do. AERC has been getting behind the NC

with funding the vetting crews for the last two rides, they are not just giving lip service,

$7,500 is more than just lip service to me. Some want us to make the qualifications

tougher, but it can be hard to persuade a ride manager to put on a quality ride with a

 handful of riders because of tough qualifications.  I am not saying the NC ride is perfect,

far from it, but you can help give us some guidance without always being so negative

 toward the AERC BOD and we will listen. (We are your representatives.) You can write

me anytime with your suggestions or thoughts, we are listening.