Re: [RC] endurance-FEI etc - heidi

For those of us who have been out of the loop for awhile..would someone
please explain how this all is connected?  IN other words...when AERC
and USEF sit  down for meetings and vote on things...how are each
represented?

AERC and USEF do not "sit down for meetings."  I think that is one of the
major misunderstandings here.  They are separate entities.

And then how  does what they do tie into the FEI?

FEI is the international body governing international equine competitions.
It only recognizes one "national federation" from each country to
represent that country with regard to international competitions--and for
the USA, that entity is USEF.

 And what  in the world is
AERC-1????

It isn't "AERC-one"--it is AERC-capital-I" which is short for
AERC-International.  AERC-I is a "committee" but it is different from
other AERC committees in that it requires an additional membership over
and above AERC membership, and has separate funding.  It serves as a
liaison of sorts between AERC and USEF, and tends to have as members those
AERC members who do have an interest in international riding.  Those who
do not need not join and are not directly impacted by international
riding, since it is run by an entirely different organization.

I do believe that it behooves us as AERC to have a voice in the sport on
an international level, which is why I do support AERC-I by paying the
additional dues to it.

Also..when one of our riders heads off to Arabia or
wherever to  ride in the WEC how much of their expenses are paid for?
And by whom?? The  USEF...?

Any expenses that are paid are paid by the USEF.  In early years of
involvement, there WAS no USEF funding, so riders picked up their own
tabs.

Also, If a horse can nominate at age
six...He is still going to have to  have a lot of fast miles accumulated
just to nominate..not a good thing I  would think. Also...all of you out
 there who have accumulated, lets say, over a  thousand miles on one
horse, at what point do you feel you got to know your  horse well enough
to be able to recognize when something was not right???

According to the new proposal, he would be able to nominate with very
little mileage, with the hope of demonstrating his ability over the
upcoming year.  As it stands now, I'm not sure if the WEC mileage
requirement for nomination was higher (am thinking it was, but those more
involved can chime in here), but to nominate for the upcoming NAEC, one
must have 500 miles in order to nominate.  And there is NO requirement
that those be fast miles.

As for being able to tell when something is "not right"--good riders can
tell that very quickly.  Some riders who have ridden mileage in 5 figures
still do not have the ability to tell, gathering from my experiences with
some of them at vet checks...  Most of those who get to the level of
riding at WECs are pretty sharp at being able to tell, even on horses that
they have not ridden any great mileage.

Heidi