Re: [RC] Chicken Little Hysteria? - heidi

Please Reply to: kim kimfue@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
========================================Indeed one is sometimes.  And
I've found that "friends" who resort to the sort of hyperbole and
Chicken Little hysteria that has been too often used in reference to
this topic are often cumbersome.

Heidi,
  Who would have thought just a short time ago that the USEF would take
away any qualifying criteria for the WEC in 2006.  It seems to me the
the "Chicken Little" hysteria you talk about is actually more like
fact and if you choose the "bird" analogies continue be an "ostrich
with your head in the sand" if you choose. This is just the latest in
a series of developments with USEF....wasn't there just a discussion
about how AERC can no long use the name "National Championship" for
it's NC as USEF has claimed title?  We have no control over USEF but
they sure seem to have some kind of control over us.  Why is that?

Whether the USEF has any control over AERC remains to be seen.  They have
claimed a rather generic phrase, and again, certain ridecampers have told
us that the sky is falling.  Quite frankly, I think this is just another
case of hyperbole and overreaction.  And while I vehemently disagree with
the proposal of removing the qualifications for nomination, it is a gross
exaggeration to think that this will have a major impact (or really ANY
impact) on AERC.  Please, tell us just in what way this will cause AERC
riding to deteriorate?  It has no impact whatsoever on our own vetting
standards, sanctioning processes, awards processes--or quite frankly on
ANYTHING relevant to AERC rides.

   Now just for discussion sake....not advocating one position or
another.  What is wrong with the board discussing this issue?  What
if AERC chooses NOT to be the recognized endurance organization of
USEF? Does AERC I decide that issue or does the entire board and/or
membership decide.

Nothing is wrong with the board discussing ANY issue--what IS wrong is the
notion that the thing will be changed by any discussion by the AERC board!
We have people jumping up and down screaming for the AERC board to "do
something!" about it when in fact, it is not anything on which they can
act.  At most, they can make a resolution stating non-support for such
proposals--but the difference will be made by those members of AERC who
actually are in positions to have any say--those who are members of
AERC-I. (Which, Truman, does not act like any other AERC committee, which
is why one has to pay separate dues to it--which you say you may choose
not to pay, which is one way to voice your opinion, and which I just did
choose to pay for this year, precisely so that I COULD have a recognized
opinion.  AERC decreed long ago that the AERC-I would have a degree of
separation from AERC, which has its points and its drawbacks--personally,
I think it is a darn good thing that it HAS some autonomy, so that it
can't be run by the obvious "anti-international" faction which has been
rampant in AERC since the inception of the committee, but rather is run by
those who DO have in interest in international competition as a thing
separate from AERC!)

Please review Steph's excellent posts on the relationship between AERC,
AERC-I, and FEI.  I am surprised by Truman's adamant denial of previous
knowledge of how the system is structured, since it has been structured
thus since the beginning of our involvement in international riding, and
Truman purports to have been a member of AERC-I for well over a decade.

    Where does the line get drawn in your book....if USEF chooses not to
change the new policy on requirements for the WEC in 2006 would you,
Heidi, continue to support that organization?  Will you continue to
support an organization that will allow 6 year old horses that have
never been in a 100 to represent the US in the WEC?  It's hard to
set the example you talk about so often when we may be sending less
qualified horses in 2006 then we have in previous WECs.  It seems
this is a lot more then "chicken little" hysteria.

And it seems that once again, those of you who seem to have an agenda to
rush in and bash FEI riding are not reading what is being written.  Again,
read Steph's posts.  The change is in the nomination requirements--NOT in
the requirements necessary to compete.  Big difference!  Horses are
nominated a year or more prior to the event, and there is still the
minimum FEI requirement of having done at least one ride at the
distance--ie 160km or 100 miles, and horses to be 7 years of age.  The USA
has long had far more strict requirements, and I support those more strict
requirements--eliminating requirements for nomination and eliminating
requirements for competition are NOT one and the same.  Reacting so
strongly on misinformation does, in my book, constitute hysteria, bird
analogies or no.

Heidi