[RC] Convention question (kind of) - Jonni

I was thinking of making this non-horsey guy take me to Truckee to see
the starting point of Tevis.  I don't know if he'll want to drive his
Porsche down any dirt roads, but if we DO go, I was wondering if anyone can
recommend a good casual restaurant in Truckee we can do a late lunch or
early dinner at.<<<

Since you won't be able to get to the actual "start" of Tevis, I'd recommend
going over to Squaw Valley, and drive up to the ski chalet area. If you
don't want to pop the approx. $15 each to take a ride up on the cable car to
High Camp, you can at least see the mountain the horses climb under the ski
runs, to get up to High Camp, where they cross over Emigrant Gap, and head
on into the Granite Chief Wilderness. If you do decide to take the cable Car
up, you can see usually a great view of Lake Tahoe, and then the mountains
to the west, that the horses head over towards Auburn. They do have some
cafes and such up there, but I don't know anything about them. You can also
drive past the turn into Squaw Valley, on Hwy 89, and you will find the
bridge over the river, that the horses come down from the East side of the
road, under, and come up, and then cross the bridge, and head towards Squaw.
Trail signs are there, but I bet the trail is deep in snow.

My sister in law used to live in Truckee, and they had a few great little
cafes in town, on the main street. But it looks like the city is becoming a
tad "trendy", and a little too yuppie for me, and not sure if the same home
cookin quality remains at the cafes.  The place we used to eat good
breakfast at was called "Coffee And". But that was some 10-15 years ago. LOL
Here is some info on Truckee. it is beautiful country if you have never seen
it, and worth just taking a drive around up there. We even thought of moving
there at one time. But, where to work???

http://www.truckee.com/

Hopefully some folks more local can give you more updated info.

Jonni