[RC] breakover - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Jessica Wysocki syreino@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ribbons is barefoot, we've completed 500 miles (ECTRA) and 300 miles (AERC)
with her only in steel shoes for one 50 with muscle problems afterwards (may or
may not have been shoe related) and her in Old Macs for one 50 with terrible
rubbing even with protection.  I have looked into Ground Controls and Equiflex,
but unfortunately they didn't fit her properly.  She's got a club foot and my
farrier refuses, even with plastic shoes to put different size shoes on because
"an ounce at the hoof is a pound at the shoulder".

Because she's a hard fit for shoes, even steel shoes (she wore 0000 for the one
time she was shod, but she's really in between sizes), we attempted the OD 50
this year wtih Easy Boots, however she also has moderately severe DJD from her
knee surgery and going up and down the hills at OD with easy boots was enough
to create lameness for a pull with months off and a new routine of physical
therapy and new "rolled toe" barefoot trim that is currently working great for
her.

I was a firm believer in boots, but I would caution anyone now to seriously
think about their horses legs, any conformational problems and the need for
breakover.  I would hate to see someone else have to deal with the issues we
are dealing with, with success at the moment, which could change at any second.
  She's got great feet, it's the knee that is the problem and overtime she'll
have to be in rolled toe shoes and progress to rocker toe shoes all because her
mom made a really stupid rider error.

I appreciate every ride I have with Rib, whether it be training, dressage
lesson or out on the endurance trails because I never know if this is my last
one with her, please make sure your horse can handle the different breakovers
of hoof boots prior to using them and save yourselves a lot of agony and
watching your dream horse recover from your stupid mistake.

Jessica and Ribbons