Re: [RC] Would you turn down $1.9Mil for your horse - Dubai winner - heidi

Please Reply to: Liz Henry liz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
========================================Talked to someone last evening
who knows Dubai gold winner Barbara Lissarrague and her mare Georgat. He
said that Barbara was offered $1.9M BEFORE the WEC and she turned it
down! Would you? Mind you, Barbara is not wealthy, her husband logs with
draft horses, the old way and wouldn't make close to this amount in his
entire lifetime. After her win, Barbara was offered $3.2Mil and while
this is being negotiated, rumor has it that she will accept the offer,
details not available. She owns the mare 50-50. The person I talked to
has known the mare since her first ride and said that from the
beginning, this mare showed good recoveries but nothing extraordinary.
He felt her training had a lot to do with her reaching her potential.
Back to the fascinating subject of how much genetics vs. training play a
role.....

It's too bad that we have such a habit of using "vs" when comparing
things, when in fact they don't work against each other, but rather have a
combined effect beyond their additive effect.  Think of a jar which you
need to fill to the top, and you have half a jar of genetics and half a
jar of training with which to do it.  If you put in your entire half jar
of genetics but don't add any training, the jar is still only half full.
If you don't have any input from genetics but you train your brains out,
the jar is still only half full.  You have to have both to get a full jar.

I know this is a controversial subject, but I'll state it again because
I've seen it happen time and time again--a horse with really superior
genetics CAN go out and hold his own against well-trained/conditioned
horses with far less genetic potential.  It isn't the right thing to do to
the horse, and I don't recommend it.  But it sure underscores the
contribution of innate ability or genetics.

Additionally, genetics affect a great many functions besides recovery
capability--genetic ability manifests itself in efficiency of converting
food to useable energy, in conservation of electrolytes, in muscle fiber
type, in the efficiency of kidneys conserving fluids and liver in
metabolizing waste products, etc.  Genetics also influence the very
ability to condition.

The sire line of the French mare that won has been a line that has
consistently produced superior endurance horses.  We likewise have
families here that consistently produce horses that are far more suited to
endurance than the breed average.  Dr. Nik is right--this is an area that
the Aussies understand fairly well, but that here in the USA, we are still
behind the learning curve.  We do have the horses--but their innate
ability is not something that our selectors have learned to evaluate.

Heidi