Re: [RC] [RC] - Barbara McCrary

I found this message quite interesting. Now I have a question for you..........if a HORSE suffers heat stroke, will he always be overly sensitive to the heat from, and exposure to the sun ? I know at least two or three people who have had heatstroke in their earlier years and are still sensitive to it. If the answer is yes, will this effect Bev Gray's horse in the future? Just wondering......... I find physiology, either humans or horses, fascinating.

Barbara McCrary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nik Isahak Abdullah" <drnikisahak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 12:23 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC]

Thanks Doc Heidi.Yes I believe the symtomatology sounds to me like heat stroke.Horse brains and human brains are made by the same Maker using almost the same template anyway.Given the same biochemical and physical insults there are really limited ways in which they manifest outwardly.Con vulsuions and in this case further enhanced by the electrolyte im balance following fliud loss,extreme physical exertion etc etc.We do see a quite a number of convulsions following endurance rides in our early days of doing endurance here on ex race thoroughbreds ,now very very rare as people in the endurance scene start importing more Arabs namely from our distant neigbour Down Under.Expensive sport now but a necessary evil.NIght and late evening start to endurance ride also help.And most critical:snail slow pace at 9 to 10 kph.
Angie asked whether more sloshing of water help.We do not do that here as our tracks are generally hilly and inaccesible to helpers and we do not generally have helpers anyway.The few rides I rode inFrance a few years back there were water sloshers at every 4 to 5 kilometers.But rides in France are very competitive and very very well organised to the T.I believe the Emirates learn a lot from the French.I believe if you are going at the speed they do in Dubai "race track" with phenominal internal heat generated ,for top 20 placing or so you would need all those support.Whether it make adifferent for Bev's horse may be ,may be not.God only knows.
What would make a lot of difference may be would be longer "pre export" conditioning in the hottest and humidest region in the US or even down in Mexico as near the equator as possible and fly them direct from there.But Angie I may be wrong. I cant even sell that idea to our local selectors here!