Re: [RC] [RC] - heidi

Yes I believe the symtomatology sounds to me like heat
stroke.Horse brains and human brains  are made by the same Maker using
almost the same template anyway.Given the same biochemical and physical
insults there are really limited ways in which they manifest
outwardly.Con  vulsuions and in this case further enhanced by the
electrolyte im balance  following fliud loss,extreme physical exertion
etc etc.

I think the real key here is electrolyte imbalance.

We do see a quite a  number of convulsions following endurance
rides in our early days of doing  endurance here on ex race
thoroughbreds ,now very very rare as people in the  endurance scene
start importing more Arabs namely from our distant neigbour  Down
Under.

Again, horses that retain the classical traits from selection as desert
mounts to begin with are metabolically better suited to these conditions.
The ability to regulate intracellular and extracellular electrolytes is an
innate trait--that's genetics.  One would not want to take a horse
unconditioned to the ambient conditions, certainly.  But likewise all the
conditioning in the world will not make up for the lack of the innate
ability.  It takes both.

You guys have thousands to choose from,so a lot of permutation s and
combinations to play around.Even if  Doc Heidi's theory about  the much
changed USA Arabian horse is right your sheer number of choice will
certainly override this.

The problem here is staying AWAY from the "combinations and permutations"
and sticking with the horses that still reflect the classical desert
traits.  (And no, this isn't always an argument for purebreds, either--the
"old" traditional lines of many breeds maintained this aspect of their
Arabian ancestors as well, as long as they were bred to be riding mounts.
Since capability under saddle is no longer a hallmark in ANY breed, even
the Arabian, one has to go back and look for individuals that have
maintained those traits in the face of selective pressure away from them.)

Heidi