[RC] Response to Dian W's posts - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: kim kimfue@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I do know where Bev was during that. I know who was present during the whole
scene.

Ok, it sounds like you are upset that the rider was not with the horse during
treatment????  Is that what you are saying??? Shouldn't you take that up with
her and not with this list????

I feel that great horse deserves to be allowed to live a wonderful
non-stressful life after that.  I do not feel it was hateful.  If you had any
understanding of what that horse went thru, you'd wish the same for him.

Maybe you can be part consultation with the owner and her veterinarian to
decide what kind of future this horse has.  I would think that a DVM would have
the best information and knowledge on something like this but perhaps you know
better.

If it was a international rider instead of an american rider, ridecampers would
want the rider banned.

No, depending on the FACTS (first hand of course)I think ridecampers would be
up in arms regardless of the nationality of the rider.  Hey, won't FEI
officials or vets do an investigation on an incident this serious?  If they
don't why not??? And if an investigation is PROTOCOL why not wait and put that
report on ridecamp.  Now that would give a good starting -point for discussion.

We on ridecamp know all to well how emotions do come into play especially on
horse welfare concerns such as you bring up in your posts. Check the archives.
Your strong feelings about this horse suffering are truely in the right place
and I do wish all riders whether AERC or International had such empathy.  But
it is important that when reporting incidents like you describe that we discuss
the facts as they relate to the incident and then decide on the consequences a
rider gets officially or unofficially.  I find the investigations and reports
that the AERC horse welfare committee generates very helpful in understanding
and disecting these types of serious incidents.  I only hope that there is a
similar body in FEI riding that will do the same.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648