From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Ridecamp Guest
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 10:16 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Response to Dian W's posts

Please Reply to: kim kimfue@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I do know where Bev was during that. I know who was present during the whole
scene.

Ok, it sounds like you are upset that the rider was not with the horse
during treatment????  Is that what you are saying??? Shouldn't you take that
up with her and not with this list????

I feel that great horse deserves to be allowed to live a wonderful
non-stressful life after that.  I do not feel it was hateful.  If you had
any understanding of what that horse went thru, you'd wish the same for him.

Maybe you can be part consultation with the owner and her veterinarian to
decide what kind of future this horse has.  I would think that a DVM would
have the best information and knowledge on something like this but perhaps
you know better.

If it was a international rider instead of an american rider, ridecampers
would want the rider banned.

No, depending on the FACTS (first hand of course)I think ridecampers would
be up in arms regardless of the nationality of the rider.  Hey, won't FEI
officials or vets do an investigation on an incident this serious?  If they
don't why not??? And if an investigation is PROTOCOL why not wait and put
that report on ridecamp.  Now that would give a good starting -point for
discussion.

We on ridecamp know all to well how emotions do come into play especially on
horse welfare concerns such as you bring up in your posts. Check the
archives.  Your strong feelings about this horse suffering are truely in the
right place and I do wish all riders whether AERC or International had such
empathy.  But it is important that when reporting incidents like you
describe that we discuss the facts as they relate to the incident and then
decide on the consequences a rider gets officially or unofficially.  I find
the investigations and reports that the AERC horse welfare committee
generates very helpful in understanding and disecting these types of serious
incidents.  I only hope that there is a similar body in FEI riding that will
do the same.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648