Re: [RC] hills in Florida? - Truman Prevatt

We get a lot of riders from out of state at FL rides. We get a lot or riders from the NE, CT - including Texas - and some from the MW at FL rides. While they may see some sand - it not common in those regions. Sure many of our horses see sand 365 days a year, but some don't. Some people actually live in areas that are not sandy. FL is a huge state with a huge diversity of both climate and terrain. I live in the temperate climate zone. Fifty miles south of me is the line for the subtropical climate zone and another 200 miles South is the tropical zone. When I lived further South in FL than I do now, I had very little sand to ride in. We were flat turf, palmetto prairie and swamp. Even then I went to the sandy rides and finished.

The big difference with conditioning in sand came from the fact it made the horse much stronger which resulting in cutting more than an hour and ½ on how fast she comfortably could do a 50. Lawton Johnston used to run a ride near Aken, S.C.- the old Granitville Gallop. That was run on the large land holdings of the fabric mill where Lawton was the chief engineer. That area is particularly sandy. It was run a little on dirt roads, woods trails but mostly on disk fire breaks which translated to deep sand. There were horses from all over at that ride. Lawton and I talked about it once and his observation was the same as mine. While you might think you'd see more injuries in the sand - you didn't.

For my money - mud is a much higher risk for injury than sand.

Jonni wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Truman Prevatt" However, I must say that if you look at the rides in
FL - many but not all area sandy - I haven't noticed any higher pull rates
or any more problems with leg injuries than in any other conditions. <<<

But I'd be curious, how many horses go to the "sandy" Florida rides, with
out ever getting in some conditioning in sand.  Maybe you don't see more
pulls or injuries, as most of the horses AT the ride, are used to being
ridden in sand. And those who are not used to sand, are ridden extra
careful, to prevent said problems.

Jonni

--

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."

- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)