Re: [RC] hills in Florida? - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Hey, I have to agree with you Jonni.....Truman's hills might in fact be fire ant hills.  :))  At any rate, I think it is the SAND, that does it.  I think we have hills here in North Alabama, lower part of the Smokey's and all, but in fact, those are ant hills to what a REAL hill is.  Funny Truman, I am a geography major.....don't remember studying Florida when it came to landfeatures....other than swamps.  ;-)

Jody

PS.  Truman, are you bringing the camera to the SERA awards dance???? My Joni wants to know.

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jonni wrote:

> [...]
It's not the gross elevation change that gets the condition and muscle
on them it's the elevation change in the sand. Bring your horse down and
I know a hill that may be only ½ mile long and maybe only 150 feet
elevation gain - but your horse will be on his knees following me to the
top ;-) . It's not the sand alone or the hills alone, but a combination
of the sand and the hills. Flat sand won't do it. Hills in turf won't do
it either. Put the sand and hills together and you have something.

I took the old mare just about every place. We did rides in CO where we
climbed from 8,000 feet to 12,000 feet three time in 50 miles - I think
she finished 5th. She did six 100, including the ROC in Utah. She was a
great mountain horse - however she only went to mountains for rides. The
reason - she trained right here at home in our sand hills.

So come one down - I have a hill for you.

Truman

--

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."

- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)