[RC] Mpemba Effect - KKMoonshadowrnch

In a message dated 12/14/2005 5:07:15 PM Pacific Standard Time, ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
II History of the Mpemba Effect
The fact that hot water freezes faster than cold has been known for many
centuries.  The earliest reference to this phenomenon dates back to  Aristotle in
300 B.C.  The phenomenon was later discussed in the medieval  era, as
European physicists struggled to come up with a theory of heat.   But by the 20th
century the phenomenon was only known as common folklore, until  it was
reintroduced to the scientific community in 1969 by Mpemba, a Tanzanian  high school
student.  Since then, numerous experiments have confirmed the  existence of the
"Mpemba effect", but have not settled on any single  explanation.
Interesting, eh?  :)
Sylvia

    I've never heard of this but I only skated through Chemistry, but I remember our professor explaining that with hot water the little Hydrogen and Oxygen particles are moving around faster and are able to hook up together faster into the ice crystal formations found in ice.  (Can you tell I barely squeaked through chemistry!)

Kathy & Nick
Moonshadow Ranch
McKenna, WA