[RC] diesel automatic vs. manual - Dede Johnson - Gloria Adams

Hi,

We have a manual 2004 Dodge turbo Cummins diesel 4x4 dually. We tow in the mtns. One thing that you might want to consider,is that you cannot put a exhaust brake (aka “Jake Brake”, Pac Brake), on an automatic.

I was told this by the Dodge engineers as well as the saleman. I love that exhaust brake, & it gives a lot of piece of mind down hills (+ saves wear on your brakes in regular driving too). An exhaust brake is the same brake that semi-truck drivers use.

Actually, at the time we bought this truck (Aug 2004), NO exhaust brake was being allowed on even the manuals, thus Dodge was not even selling them anymore (MoPar parts). But I researched it, & we got a third party Pac brake on. But even that can still only be used on a manual.

Plus, with a manual, as someone said, you can REALLY tow a lot more wgt.

HTH