RE: [RC] Bored stiff - ovarian tumors/cysts in mares - heidi

Please Reply to: Diane Roby diane_roby2002@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Okay here's one.  How many of you on the list have had or know of a mare with
ovarian tumors/cysts?
<snip>
Had the vet out yesterday and she pass the flex test both side with flying
colors, not off even one step.  When putting her up in the cross ties, I
brushed her face putting the lead on and she squealed at me, she normally
makes almost no noise at all.  I thought maybe teeth but they were done 6
months ago, but I had him check that too, nothing they are fine.  So he
casually mentions it could be granulosa or an ovarian tumor.  He's only seen
3 or 4 in his practice but he's not a repro expert even tho he does AI's
during the season like most of the vets around here.
<snip>
I'm just wondering if anyone with a performance horse has had this, what the
prognosis is for her returning to competition, and any complications I might
need to look for.  Or if we find she has no tumor what on earth is causing
her to act this way?

Most of the mares I've dealt with who have had granulosa cell tumors
have been broodmares--but most have gone back to that successfully
following removal of the tumorous ovary.

Have known a couple of mares who were riding mares who have gone back to
work successfully following surgery.

Given the behavior you've seen, I'd say that your vet is right to have a
granulosa cell tumor high on the rule-out list.

Heidi