[RC] Fear - Julie Fuller

Ginger,

You're post really struck a chord with me. In the past few years I came through exactly this scenario, and I didn't think about it the way you put it until I saw it in your post... and it was one of those slap-yourself-in the-forehead moments. *grin*

I have a mare that I got as a nearly three year old, barely broke. I finished her out on the trails, coming up against all sorts of scarey stuff that she took in stride, with only a few arab acrobat maneuvers. She was/is wonderful. A true War Mare.

But.... I divorced, moved, life got all screwed up for awhile (mostly in my head) and I suddenly was terrified to ride her. And I mean get-dry-in-the-mouth-and -shaking kinda scared. I was totally baffled by this, as was everyone who knows me. I have always been a very confident rider.

At this point, I traded horses with my new husband, riding his arab gelding who was WAY more of a spaz than my mare. But for whatever reason, it didn't scare me to ride him through whatever idiot maneuver he pulled... it pissed me off. I dealt with it in my usual manner..... Firmly and consistantly. (I've been riding for over 30 years)

Now.... a couple years later, I can catch any horse in the field, and thoroughly enjoy riding, no matter what the circumstances. Alan says I can't have Nat back though *grin But he also says it's wonderful to see that my "cohones" have come back.

It makes sense that we (women especially) should sometimes feel out of synch, or fearful of things in our lives that could hurt us. Most of us have a lot of people depending on our ability to care for them, and we know that, whether we think about it consciously or not. And it stands to reason that this can be a cyclical thing, whether we pay attention to that sort of thing or not.

So, thanks for making me think! Ridecamp is awesome. *smile*

Julie