[RC] Fear - WRSINOSKY

Carol: We all have been in the fear mode at one time or another.  It ain't pretty and it's a horrible feeling.  What works for me are very deep breaths.  I focus my mind on taking the deep breats and in thos manner, it helps calm me.  I know if my body is relaxed, knucklehead Doimas will respond in like manner.  That's not to say he still won't act up, but at least when you're body is erlaxed, you aren't stiff and will generally go with the movements of your horse.

I wish you could see Doimas at the beginning of an LD ride.  He's like a ping pong ball..whirling, screaming, bouncing his butt off trees, crowhopping...you name it. Alot of people get the big eyes and ask how I managed to stay on.  It is really quite easy.  His back remains constant no matter what his legs are doing. So long as I stay rather limp in the saddle, I don't go anywhere. The only time I touch his sides during this pre-ride dance is to move him forward if he's getting too close to cars, people, etc.  (Yeh, there's always a person or two who just stands there and watches.)

Sometimes I'll have nothing but bad rides, but they are few and far between. I agree with Don and the other people 100%. As I stated in my private email to you, use whatever degree of severity you need to protect you.  It's not all that great to be lying in a hospital bed alll busted up, saying, "Yeah, but my horse was very comfortable without a bit."

Cindy Edwards
Buckeye, AZ