[RC] Tailgating - Lani M Olson

Planning ahead. Working a fairly green mare and usually riding with just one other person at this point (on trails). Mare is independent when in front, but tailgates when in back. I've tried turning and riding back up the trail, circling and hips over where space permits but can't seem to get her to leave some space. I can hold her to a walk, but she will power-walk until she is right on the other horse's tail again. Since this is a habit that is universally disliked, can I get some pointers on how to fix this before it becomes permanent? Thanks.
Lani