[RC] we don't use tank heaters anymore - Betty and Ken Wolgram

I don't know if this will be of any help, but electricity has gotten so high in the past couple of years that we gave up on tank heaters (we were heating the great outdoors too much anyway).  My husband dug a 10-foot hole and put a big metal culvert down in it for each of our three stock tanks, then poured a concrete pad and set the tanks back down.  Then we bought three of the air pumps used in large aquariums (about $60 each) and put them inside metal containers and siliconed them in to keep out the moisture...two plastic hoses run into the stock tanks and they really keep the water moving.  They don't ice up at all until our temps plunge below 10 degrees below zero.  Week before last we got down to 25 below and they iced up to about half an inch.  It works very well and we don't have to worry about shocks and/or electrocution anymore, not to mention it only costs as much electricity as a light bulb.