Re: [RC] Hackamore control - Zephyr Arabians

I've not used the S-hackamore, but I do use (on
various horses) an English hackamore (fleece padded
noseband, shanks similiar in length to S-hack) and a
sidepull (no leverage).  And, the only bits I own are
French link snaffles.

If a horse runs away with you, that's a training
issue, not an equipment issue.  A horse can tuck their
head to their chest and take off with ANY equipment,
even a long shanked curb if they really wanted to.

I've had the experience of a run-away at the start
once.  It was our second LD (mine & the horse) and
what they told us was a "controlled start" actually
turned out to be a shotgun start but out on the trail
in a bunched up group (really poor planning).  My mare
went from standing on a loose rein in the group to
dead run with the front-runners.  I had her chin to
her chest and she just kept on going -- a one-rein
attempt to stop her at that point probably would have
resulted in a flip.  She was wearing a French link
snaffle.  I eventually got her back under control and
we finished the ride without incident and never had
that problem again....  In her first year of 50s I
switched her to the French link for the st and to a
sidepull after the first vet check (sidepull for all
her conditioning/training rides).  In her second year
of 50s she was in a sidepull 100% of the time.  It was
all a training issue.  She does get caught up in the
excitement of the start, but respects the sidepull and
does not attempt to run through it, even though of all
the equipment you could have on a horse's head, a
sidepull is as mild as it gets (it's no different than
a plain halter, just easier steering).

Different horses prefer different equipment.  The mare
above, for instance, tends to over-react to a
hackmore, yet is light and responsive to the sidepull.
I have a gelding that will pull and pull and pull in
a French-link snaffle, but is perfect in a hackamore.
My stallion will pull on a hackamore, but is good in a
sidepull or French-link snaffle.  Etc.

Personally, I like to use the most mild equipment that
I can.  I don't actually consider a hackamore to be
mild, since it's a shanked bit and actually has a lot
of "whoa," even the mild type I use.  But, for a horse
that likes it, I'll use it.  I don't, however, put it
on a green horse because of both the potential "bite"
it has, and because it doesn't give easily understood
lateral control.  For greenies I start them in a
sidepull -- in the past I used to just start them in a
halter, but the sidepull is even easier for them to
understand.  Then I usually switch to a French-link
snaffle to teach more refined control, and finally
back to the sidepull when the partnership is
established (or the hackamore for a horse who likes
it) and when they're at this point I rarely have much
contact on the reins anymore.

FWIW, this all ties into the comments about teaching
horses from the hind end forward.  Collection,
impulsion, and on-the-bit all have very little to do
with the "headset" itself.  Dressage riders, for
instance, will release the reins for a moment to test
if the horse is in self-carriage rather than being
forced into a frame.  There's a German word for this
release, but I'm sure not going to try to spell it. :)

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com