Re: [RC] water tank - help - Sisu West Ranch

 "...own water trough heater, different one,  - keeps tripping breaker, no problem with socket ( replaced it ) , breaker,  or GFI. - figure heater, itself, defective..."

It is very common for immersion heaters to develop a very small leak of electricity from the element to the sheath.  In the days before the invention of the GFCI these little leaks would not be enough to trip a breaker or blow a fuse, but enough to give horses and humans a nasty shock.

If a GFCI trips, the first suspect should be the heater.

I have had better luck with sinking, cast aluminum stock tank heaters lasting than the floating or skinny elemented sinking ones.  The cast Al ones cost much more, but are worth it in my opinion.

One way to make sure that the horses don't play with the heater cord that is perhaps easier than plastic pipe, is to nail 3 pieces of wood together to make a groove.  The cord can be run in the groove next to the tank and the wood attached to the tank by a big "C" clamp.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875