[RC] water tank - help - smuncy

   Oh I know your problem - sort of, - have a new horse that just  was not sure about 'that big blue thing'  floating in the water trough ( water heater);  though, he probably would have figured it out since he likes to eat salt, that's another story - anyone with any suggestions to that eml me,  -  ?? he has a problem I need to check, or just ... ? he hadn't had any free choice salt  in a while.   Plus, had heater go 'ballistic' and heat water  to bath water temp, but  horses quickly, got over,  in fact they  may have liked that for the  day, being it was below freezing; sort of like having 'hot tea' . Told them I could not afford it , and they did not 'earn' keep, that much,  so......that luxery they would not get.
You say placing buckets by trough has not gotten them to tank, even when depleted buckets, and they see other horses drinking there? What about placing buckets in tank. ?
 What I did was stand out with him,  with 'treats', I knew he liked ! ; and place them almost on water, he had to touch water to get it.... he was drinking from trough  from that day on, - but he still prefers buckets. But will drink from trough / tank. Adequately.
   But, now , having 'problem'. with own water trough heater, different one,  - keeps tripping breaker, no problem with socket ( replaced it ) , breaker,  or GFI. - figure heater, itself, defective, wish, could get one that worked more than one season, but at least has 3 yr warrenty. And  I have a back up. Good thing; calling for  <15f   tonight.
  On  another site  there has been conversation about using 1/2 hp pumps to circulate water, rather than heaters, would work, especially with larger troughs,  > 50 gallons; Probably less than 150 gal.  you  just have to keep intake clean.
  Also, placing copper wire from inside trough to grounding rod, buried outside trough to eliminate 'microshocks'.  But, you know that.  Stephanie M -
  Do believe in  theory you can a  lead horse to water, but can not make them drink, -- but if they are thirsty - they will drink wherever., or  learn to. Please save post about heated water being better, we all know that, and ... any horse  can be 'spoiled' to only drink from... true,...... and, yes,   I , too,  have have had one that liked to "play camel" on rides, but that to is another story,.