Re: [RC] Little-S hackamore: collection/impulsion/truth - DVeritas

In a message dated 12/12/2005 8:20:05 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
With the Little-S hack instead of a bit,my horse does feel slightly "strung out" at the walk and has slightly less "throttle response". Have only been out with the hack for a few hour-long rides
I'd like to say that true collection has less to do with what is attached to the headstall and more to do with properly asking the horse to work from the back hooves, up through the hocks, engaging the stifle, coiling and releasing through the hip and sacro-lumbar, over the back, through the withers, up through the poll and back through the "balancing" of the front hooves to start all over again....

I'd like to say that about "true collection," however, I don't think I should.
So many folks get focused on the face of the horse and forget the sequence of locomotory components in order to get efficient forward movement that it can get quite frustrating for some folks.

So, what I'll say is, I'd ask the horse to move up into the bridle with my seat and legs and when I feel him "arriving" at the hand, I would (with compassionate hands, irrespective of what is attached to the headstall), ask him to return the energy as he unloads his front hooves, and start the sequence again and again and once the mechanism is working, I'd try really hard not to interfere with it through insensitivity of seat, legs or hands.

True collection is true connection.

Frank