Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 8:24 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] WEC: final loops

Dabney - I don't really know the answer to your question. Mercedes' horse is amazing, he's tall and leggy and moves like a gazelle - his feet barely seem to touch the ground - his gaits look effortless. His recoveries are very fast, but I don't know what his resting heart rate is. I'll have to ask Mercedes. Her horse also has tremendous feet and good bone - this is an Argentine bred horse, and my observation of most of the Argentine arabians is similar - Argentina didn't get caught up in the halter horse breeding fad like the US did, and their arabians are much more consistently bred for the important -functional - qualities. Miguel Pavlovsky is one of the top breeders, and his horses are all awesome.

But as far as selecting or breeding horses based on resting heart rate - I don't have solid numbers or statistics. It' seems logical that a large heart will give the horse a performance advantage, and the best horse I ever rode had a 24 resting heart rate .

Steph