[RC] An innocient question for barefoot ENDURANCE horses' riders - Susan, Princess of Pink

Thank you Lori, Heidi, Stephanie, Steph (and a few others I can't remember) for taking this thread to an educational level.  NOW I'm learning something instead of composing rebuttles in my head.

QUESTION:  How long/far can you ride your barefoot endurance horse, supposing you're not using boots very often or not at all, before the hoof is worn away to the point of lameness?

From reading of your experiences with your barefoot horses, it is obvious the hoof has reached a "toughness" beyond what my shod horse has (MY horse...not referring to anyone elses horses).  I can surmise your horses can travel many miles barefoot and not lose as much hoof as I would imagine.

Therefore, do you ride within a certain parameter thus keeping enough hoof wall for soundness?  What is that "parameter"?

Thank you so much for your willingness to share.

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)