[RC] Barefoot/Making choices - Sluys Guys

Wow, I turn off the computer for 1 day and look what happens! Anyway, first let me say that I have only completed 1 30 mile LD and attempted 1 50 (horse tied up at start so didn't finish) but I have done over 4000 miles of  competition in the NATRC Open Division over 1000 of those barefoot and sometimes with hoof boots. When I first came to barefoot it was because my horse had become hopelessly lame due to bad farriery. Simply put the farriers in my area suck! When I discovered barefoot trimming my horse made a vast improvement. I was psyched and wanted to tell everyone about it. Some folks were receptive and many didn't want to hear it and some were hostile. I realized that the best thing I could do not to alienate people was just to keep my mouth shut unless asked. I just ride my ride in my way and if I do well and people notice that my horse is barefoot then it speaks for itself. Not to say that it is the only way, just that it is possible with the right preparation.  This year my horse, Rose, achieved her NATRC National Championship barefoot.
Not to glaze over the truth, it has been a long hard road and not for everyone but now that my horses have been barefoot going on 4 years they amaze me by what they can go over. I live in the foothills of NC and do much of my training in the Jefferson National Forest in Virginia. These are not kind trails. They are rocky and gritty but that gives my horses  an advantage over barefoot horses who come from sandy areas. My horses are conditioned for the job. 4 years ago I never thought it would be possible but my horses are proving to me that it is.
I am not saying that it is the only way to go but in my situation it was the only way for me to keep my horses sound and I feel very empowered to be able to do it myself.  I have opted to shoe one of my horses in plastic shoes for certain rides when I felt like it was appropriate and I am always looking for the best solution for problems as they arise.
I'm looking forward to doing some more endurance riding this year with one of my horses and will probably do it barefoot if I feel like my horse can handle the terrain. I know several other folks who have done endurance rides barefoot successfully (even the OD 50) but they are not vocal about it, they just ride their own ride and don't make a big deal out of it.  Just like there is not one best saddle or supplement for all horses there are many ways to care for the horses hoof. People just need to do what they think is best for their horse and leave it at that. If you see me on the trail I invite you to ask me about it but I'm certainly not going say that it is the only way to go.
Happy Trails, Nancy Sluys

"Happy trails to you, until we meet again!"
             (Roy Rogers & Dale Evans)
                                           _\/
                                        O O

              ,--/