Re: [RC] what they DON'T always tell you about going barefoot - Tiffany D'Virgilio

Not only for that reason, but some people live in areas where an endurance horse almost has to be shod. Here in the foothills of Mt. Baldy it would be almost impossible for a horse doing 30 miles a week to be unshod. We have trails where there is literally NO soil. Just rocks. Especially after the fires and floods. I can't ride my unshod mare on a lot of trails here. Our main wilderness trail is rocks for 5 miles, with no soil. You cannot avoid conditioning on rocks here. I'm resigned to the fact that my bare mare will need shoes when seriously conditioning. The ride doesn't come first with me ever either, but my horse does.
Tiffany