RE: [RC] Riding with a Camera - Steph Teeter

John and I use a Canon Powershot S410 4MP- I almost never stop to take pictures (it's almost never possible) - but I take lots and lots (a 1GB card) - there are usually a few that are ok. Today I went out with Mercedes and her riders (2 gauchos and a gauchette) - I was riding one of the polo horses they have - (trying to recondition polo horses that went crazy from the rigors of polo, and maybe find them a new career). smooth steady horse (as long as I stayed off her mouth) so I tried to get into the rhythm of the canter to take photos. We'll see - I haven't looked at them yet!  But it is possible to shoot on the move. and much more fun :)

Steph
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Karen Snodgrass
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 1:30 PM
To: Ridecamp@Endurance. Net
Subject: [RC] Riding with a Camera

I know that there are a few of you that ride with your camera and take the most wonderful pictures.  I was wondering what type of camera you use and do you stop to take the picture or do you take them "on the fly"?

I ask because a few weeks ago I tried to take some pictures while on a training ride.  Time and time again this fall I have seen the most beautiful 12 point buck  and I wanted to try to get his picture (of course he didn't show up the day I had the camera).  I did manage to get some nice scenery pictures, but my mare seemed to sense that my attention was not on her and she was much spookier then usual.  I was using a digital camera and couldn't figure out the best way to carry it -- around my neck with the neck strap or just shoved in my jacket pocket.  Tried the pocket route first and missed getting a few wildlife shots because I couldn't get the camera out quick enough.  Went to around the neck but the camera bounced around at a trot (or spook) and there was the mental image of hanging myself on an errant tree branch.

So what do you all do?  And do you take those wonderful pictures only on training rides or during actual competitions as well?

Thanks,

Karen in snowy NE Ohio