Re: [RC] LD: It's Getting Ugly in Here - Joe Long

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:10:09 -0500, Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

That is in no way to be spun into "people that ride their horses longer
distances aren't concerned about their horses." That's just not true.
That also is not to be spun into "people should not ride longer
distances." What it does mean is each and every one of use is in the
final analysis is responsible for the well being of your own horse and
we have a responsibility to understand and try to the best of our
ability to mitigate the risk factors we are asking the horse to accept.

I really have nothing to say on the whole LD debate thing...but I don't
care for longer distances being described as a place for people who
aren't as concerned about their horses.

If I had read that in the original post I would be the first to drive
over to Daytona slap him around. I, however, didn't read that in the
post. I think that conclusion is somewhat a stretch.

Truman

It read that way to me.  If you accept the premise that riding longer distances
increases risk to the horses, and therefore it is more caring for the horse to
ride shorter distances, then you must take it to its logical conclusion:  if 25
miles is more caring than 100 miles, then ten miles is better than 25, and one
mile is better than ten -- and someone who truly cares for his horse would never
ride him at all!

You know, it's interesting -- I'd done a couple of 25's with Sanshra, and a
number of 50's, but since we did the Big Horn 100 there is a bond between us
that we didn't have before.  There's something special about 100 miles that the
shorter rides just can't match.  I wish everyone could experience it, but I know
that not everyone will.

If this offends someone, if someone feels "put down" because I say this, if
someone feels that I somehow don't respect their goals and achievements because
I say this, I am sorry.  I have no wish to offend anyone, nor do I disrespect
riders of any distance.  But I will not deny, nor shrink from commenting on,
that magical "something special" about you and your horse riding 100 miles in
one day.  Those who have not done it may not be able to understand it, but I
hope they can accept that it is so.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx