Re: [RC] LD: It's Getting Ugly in Here - Truman Prevatt

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I really don't think that was what was said. What I read as said was risk increases with distance. That is pretty much a given.

I just feel there are way too many variables to make such a simplistic
statement. Risk increases with lack of experience, or with having a horse
that isn't properly conditioned mentally or physically, or even isn't of
the proper physical make-up for a ride.

Every mile you go farther down the trail you are increasing the risk to the horse. There are a lot of other risk factors to be sure. If I ride my horse 50 miles I'm accepting more risk than if I ride the same horse on the same day 25. If I ride the same horse on the same day 100 miles I am accepting more risk than if I ride him 50 miles.

There are other factors that might partially mitigate the effect of this risk such as rider experience, etc. However, it is still there. If a rider doesn't realize this and accept the responsibility for asking his horse to accept a higher risk - then he/she is doing a great disservice to their horse.

That is in no way to be spun into "people that ride their horses longer distances aren't concerned about their horses." That's just not true. That also is not to be spun into "people should not ride longer distances." What it does mean is each and every one of use is in the final analysis is responsible for the well being of your own horse and we have a responsibility to understand and try to the best of our ability to mitigate the risk factors we are asking the horse to accept.

I really have nothing to say on the whole LD debate thing...but I don't
care for longer distances being described as a place for people who
aren't as concerned about their horses.

If I had read that in the original post I would be the first to drive over to Daytona slap him around. I, however, didn't read that in the post. I think that conclusion is somewhat a stretch.

Truman

--

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."

- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)