Re: [RC] LD: It's Getting Ugly in Here - Truman Prevatt

Joe Long wrote:

It read that way to me. If you accept the premise that riding longer distances
increases risk to the horses, and therefore it is more caring for the horse to
ride shorter distances, then you must take it to its logical conclusion: if 25
miles is more caring than 100 miles, then ten miles is better than 25, and one
mile is better than ten -- and someone who truly cares for his horse would never
ride him at all!

To do that you are filling in a lot of words that weren't there. Here I think emotion, personal philosophy, disgust for the original poster, whatever gets in the way of reading what was written. While the words in any language can be imprecise - they become even more so when we bring our personal views and to some extend experiences are factored into reading them ( a very human trait). This is the very reson a definition and theorems in mathematics or physics are four times a long as they really need to be and this is why our legal system relies heavily on Latin. The precision of Latin is also one reason it is a dead language (except for legal concepts) we humans don't really want that precision in our everyday language.

I sure didn't read that into the original post.

Truman

--

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."

- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)