[RC] Best Condition. Who knows? - Renie M burnett

Let's look at this another way;

  You Finish the Tevis!  Horse and you were awesome, and wow! you finished in the top ten!  Next morning, your horse is judged for the Haggin Cup and you win it!  Yaaaah! AERC awards no points for it, but, who cares? A few thousand people see, in print, on the net, in magazines etc. that YOUR Horse won the Haggin cup.  It's talked about for years;  Your name is put on the Haggin Cup. GREAT!!

Next Scenario:  Raised a baby, trained him myself, conditioned him religiously, gave him the best care I could afford. Took him to a ride and did a 25 or 30 LD.  We rode at the same pace we do on conditioning rides.  I finish 3rd, with a strong, healthy horse. Didn't even realize I was in the top ten.  I win "Horse of Excellence".  Very nice!  Without looking at my name, can anyone name me, my horse or which ride this was?  Did anyone see it in print in the EN?  CAN I EVEN PROVE MY HORSE WON THIS AWARD?  Does my horse care? Nope.  Do I care, yeah.  I didn't get the award totally by accident.  Seven years of careful and sensible work with this horse and who knows or cares, and I can't even say we won BC because it really "doesn't count."  It was only a "training ride", because some of my fellow endurance riders have decided that  LD's are for fluff bunnies, or,  I must have raced. Or, if my horse is so good, how come I'm not doing 50's or 100's? OR, My ego shouldn't be rewarded because my horse did all the work. OR, I am a novice,(HA!!!) and all I've learned to do now is race, and I am going to hurt my horse. Tell me; how many of you that are so adamantly opposed to BC LD reg., have ever won a BC?

 By the way, many years ago, my other horse was judged for BC at a 50.  We had the highest score of all, but lost out on weight and time.  I was proud when high scoring horse was announced.  Rightly so, I can't prove this happened, either, but my hard work and ego were rewarded, briefly. renie