[RC] re: things I learned in 2005 - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lauretta tikitiki69@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Some of the things I learned in the last year:

1. Horses, when your back is turned, can and will eat all of your
turkey sandwich

2. NEVER underappreciate either a good vet or farrier.  Case in
point: I could not for the life of me keep weight on my
previously easy keeper.  Kept talking to the vet about his teeth
and kept getting a disgusted "there is NOTHING wrong with his
teeth". Changed vets, and found out out his teeth were BADLY in
need of floating in the back where I couldn't easily see. Got em
floated and, son-of-a-gun, horse is getting round again.  New vet
is fantastic.  My farrier is also worth his weight in gold. After
a few lost shoes at the beginning of the year, I think between
the two of us the problem is licked. When finding either a good
vet or farrier, use every means necessary (bribery, flattery,
etc) to keep 'em.

3. My horse is in a lot better shape than me.  I had better start
working out.  LOTS.

4. My horse definitely likes me.  Despite making him ride in the
rain, snow, wind, and having to live through my driving while he
is in the trailer, he has still graciously not tried to buck me
off.  Yet.  Of course, the Hostess fruit pie bribes have helped..

5.  The teleporting you see on Star Trek shows was definitely
thought of after watching a horse spook.  How Shaba can be two
feet to the right of me in a nanosecond still has me baffled...

6.  It is truly magic to be riding on a nice day, have everything
between your horse and you be in sync, and to finish a ride with
a great feeling of satisfaction that, for that moment, everything
is right with your world..

Happy Holidays, everyone.

Lauretta and Shaba (My mom does some crazy things sometimes..but
I think I'll keep her.....that was TURKEY?? It sure was good...)