[RC] accuracy of hand helt heart rate monitors - LAWRENCEC BENNASCONI

Does any one else have a horse that has to be checked with a stethoscope? When I was training, and riding with my HRM, I thought her pulse seemed a little high, but she is not an Arab, and seemed to be fine otherwise. Now I am thinking that it wasn't reading properly. At previous rides, the handheld monitors would not read at all, this past weekend, it was about 60 degrees at the ride, I had not clipped my horse, since I was going to take it easy, and she is a short stocky Morgan from Maine who already has a longer coat than my Arabs. She was sweating more than normal, so she was actually wet enough to get a "signal", but it read in the 70s. I sponged her quickly, wetting the area behind the girth where you put the monitors, and she was at 44. I have noticed that if the HRM is not reading correctly, it will often show almost double the actual heart rate. I don't think her heart rate would have actually dropped 30 bpm that fast, I think the electronic monitor was not reading correctly. Her heart rate was confirmed by the vet at the final check, it was 40.
 My old HRM has finally died, are the new models with the thin electrodes any more accurate?
 Does any one else have a horse like this that just will not work with the electronic monitors??
 From now on, I will go straight to the person with the stethoscope, I won't even try  the handheld monitors.
 Melisa