[RC] Rachel's sick& My Uncool accident - WRSINOSKY

Since it hurts too bad to write or type alot, I figuered I'd send this out to a bunch of ya'll to let you know of recent happenings at my home.

My new baby, Rachel, (one month old as of Dec 2nd) has been critically ill for the past three days and besides stressing over the very real possibility that she could die or have to be put down, I came close to completely severing the end of my right index finger on Wednesday nite.

Never swing your hand at a "helpful" horse when you are stressed, tired, inattentive; because if you are using hay twine to tie a gate to a post and your finger is between the twine and the post, the horse (who is tugging at the twine) will jerk back with twine grasped firmly between her teeth and lop off your finger.? Luckily for me, I didn't jerk back my hand or the ER doc says I'd have jerked everything off right down to having a shiny white bone sticking out instead of a flesh covered finger.? As it is, I managed to sever all tendons. arteries, etc, so they don't know how well it will repair itself.

Of course that's the least of my concerns.? Rachel is still unwell, and we've been administering fluids every two hours for the past three days and two nights.? It's very strange...she is extremely lethargic, running a high fever, not nursing, very high heartbeat, and also acts colicky.? I've had two vets out here. One man is of the best for neonatal and babies.? We've tubed, given IV fluids, antibiotics and various other injections...everything possibe for colic and failing babies. Yesterday we didn't expect her to live thru the night, but she suddenly started having bowel mvmts and is now starting to argue with us over standing for the IV.?

I'm afraid to get too optimistic at this time, but things are starting to look up. Can't write any more. My hand is throbbing something terrible.

Cindy Edwards
Buckeye, AZ