Re: [RC] LD BC - Diane Trefethen

Jeanne, give it a rest and stop yelling at me, especially since you're mostly wrong.

Jeanne Slominski wrote:

Jeez, Diane, if AERC BC forms are NOT used, it isn't a LD BC award. What is so hard to understand about that? If you take the time to look at the year book or EN, you will see in the ride results that the vast majority of rides in the West or Pacific South don't show any thing for LD BC. That means it wasn't awarded!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it also shows who the head vet was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and then later:

It's NOT a BC award - could be a Horse Excellence award , a horsemanship
award, whatever, but it's NOT a BC award!

1) The letters "BC" stand for "Best Condition". When the Head Vet says your horse has completed a ride in better shape than the other horses and the RM awards you a prize for that achievement, it IS a Best Condition Award. If the Head Vet didn't use the AERC Best Condition form, the award is still a Best Condition Award. If the AERC doesn't give you points for it, it is still a Best Condition Award. By your reasoning, and using your words, the Haggin Cup at Tevis, "is NOT a BC award - could be a Horse Excellence award , a horsemanship award, whatever, but it's NOT a BC award!" Anyone associated with Tevis care to jump in here? This is not a private conversation. :)

2) Not having awarded a Best Condition at a ride is only one of the reasons that EN might fail to list a Best Condition. The Best Condition Award may have been calculated not using the AERC Best Condition form or the Ride Manager may have inadvertently failed to report the award to AERC on the original forms, or a secretary at AERC may have omitted the Best Condition listing when sending the ride results out to the printer. The fact that no Best Condition is listed does not always mean that no Best Condition was awarded. Take the Sand Hills Stampede I 30 Miles ride (SE Region) last April. There is no Best Condition listed for that ride, despite there having been 46 finishers. If I were like you, I might say, "Jeez, Jeanne, here you have this vet Dr Schmitt who even wrote to us here at Ridecamp to support giving the LD BC to a Top Ten horse, and Jeez, Jeanne, he didn't even award one at the Sand Hills Stampede I 30 Miles ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" [See, I know how to yell too :) ] But were I to do that, I would be dead wrong because Dr Schmitt DID award a BC at that ride. It went to Staccnepov ridden by JoAnn Baker.

So you see, Jeanne, when you say that if EN doesn't list anything for Best Condition, "That means it wasn't awarded!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it also shows who the head vet was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", you are only half right.