Re: [RC] 25/30 BC - Zephyr Arabians

--- KYielding@xxxxxxx wrote:
Well, let's see now.  How about walking their horses
around from time  to
time to make sure they don't stiffen up.  That is
something we generally  don't
worry about before the ride starts.  Cooling off
slowly during the  hour hold -
again so they don't stiffen up.  Don't have to worry
about that  before a ride.

Why are you comparing a BC to the pre-ride vet-in?

Make sure they are eating and drinking well.

Ummm.  What's that got to do with BC?  Are you saying
that those who are not showing for BC don't care if
their horses are eating & drinking well?

Putting  a little more
attention to that detail after the ride than before
is usually the  norm.

I'm hoping most (and it should be ALL) riders pay lots
of attention to detail after the ride, no matter what
place they finish.  Why would only riders showing for
BC take care of their horses?

Icing
the legs is another one I see regularly.  Sure don't
do  that before the vet
check before the ride.

And maybe you shouldn't be doing it before the BC exam
either.  It's my understanding that icing can make a
horse stiff.

Anymore smarta$$ questions?

The question you seem to be responding to didn't seem
smartass to me.  It seemed like an honest question:
what do you do differently for your horse because of
showing for BC vs just taking care of your horse and
presenting for the final vetting?  Grooming does come
into play for BC.  But, it also comes into play for
NATRC (don't know about other CTR organizations), so
this could take us back to the "use CTR for learning"
argument.  Or you could just groom your horse because
it makes them feel better and you care about them.

A horse have vet in fine immediately after the ride
but if taken back to  the
trailer and tied there just might stiffen up before
the BC vet hour  check.

And some vets don't want you vetting in immediately
after the ride.  I realize this is different in
different regions.  But, unless the vet specifically
asks to see horses right off the trail for their final
vetting, I always go back to my trailer and untack,
groom, throw on a cooler, let the horse eat & drink &
relax for a few minutes and then go to the vet.  And
then after the vetting I continue to take the horse
out for walks the rest of the day, through the night,
and the next morning before loading up to go home. I
never needed to top ten & show for BC to learn these
things.  Most of it is just good horsemanship.

We learn by doing.  If novices start off with 25/30s
and come  in top ten they
have a chance to learn by doing.

And why can't novices start off by finishing LDs in
the middle or back of the pack?  Why can't they learn
from that?

The more you do the more  you know.

Of course, but isn't that what LDs in general are for?
I don't consider that an LD BC issue.

The more opportunity we have to learn to
do  better for our horse, the
better we all feel.

Agreed, 110%.

BTW, I have no real stand on the LD BC issue.  I
suspect the scary-racer types (and, yes, they do exist
-- but, I don't think they stick around for long)
don't really care about BC anyway.  It's about the
win.

I've also been skimming a lot of these posts.  And
hadn't planned on even posting on this issue.  But, I
did see someone (I think it was Dawn) who mentioned
the worry I also have about seeing new horse/rider
teams racing: the commulative stress that can lead to
lamenesses, but may not result in a lameness right at
that moment.  Getting a horse metobolically fit
(particularly if said horse is an Arabian) is pretty
easy and can be done in a pretty short time
(particularly to "race" 25 miles).  But, getting a
horse's muscle-skeletal system fit takes a lot longer
& a lot more slower miles.  This is the part I fear is
skipped by *some* newbies who jump right into racing
their first LDs.  BUT, I think these riders are few &
far between and MOST LD riders are either new &
looking to learn (and not necessarily race) or have
another reason for riding LD -- and if racing IS a
goal, I hope most of those who race have the
experience to do so and therefore it's their business.
:)

Oh, one more note on speeds.  I did notice that on one
ride I attended this year that had a 100 at it (I had
an almost non-existant ride year due to lots of
non-horsey issues), that the first place finishing 100
had a faster relative time than the first place 50 who
had a faster relative time than the first place LD. :)

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com