[RC] 25/30 BC - Jonni

Oh my dear, if you want "smart ass questions" as you call them, I'm sure I
could come up with a few. Who said anything about what is done BEFORE the
ride? I said that BC judging is not much more that a very thorough vet
check. I never said PRE ride vet check.  I was commenting on your post, that
said "If some rides do not use AERC endurance rules for 25/30 BC, where are
these riders to learn how to show for BC?  " I just don't see the concept of
people NEEDING to show for  BC at LD rides to teach them "how" to show for
BC.  The fact a rider shows for BC or not, has nothing to do with the care
of a horse after a ride. I think that ALL riders should take excellent care
of their horses after a ride,and not just because they are showing for BC.
All horses should be monitored to make sure they are eating and drinking
well, are not getting stiff etc.   Even if the horse came in last, the rider
should do what they feel is needed, to make sure the horse it doing it's
best, and is comfortable.  But, I'm sure that there are many riders who will
do none of these things unless they are showing for BC.  If you feel that a
rider would not learn to do these things, unless they got a poor vet score
from a BC judging, them maybe this is even more of a reason to do as some
rides do, and NOT take the top ten for BC judging, but either do all the
horses, or do as some managers do, and pull numbers out of a hat for those
riders who will present for the horse excellence award. Then, if indeed, as
you say people learn "how to show for BC", we would be educating more
riders, not just those who ride quickly, in better horse care after a ride.
Jonni