[RC] bikes and horses - Ann Blankenship

Just an observation….  This loss of a good horse was certainly a tragedy and one that many of us have or will come close to having if we share trails with bikes and other users.  However, didn’t the original post say that the horse encountered the bike on a blind curve?  If so, this might have occurred had the bike been a deer, another horse coming fast, runners, etc.  The horse SHIED off the trail.  We know we take a big chance when we ride our horses on narrow trails with big drop-offs.  I know that when I first started riding our foothill trails, the cliff-hangers used to scare the hell out of me but I learned to ignore them after a while.  Sometimes we are out there riding on blind faith and usually things turn our ok but this is why we wear helmets…   stuff happens.  We must continue to share our trails with all sorts of other users, bikes included.  We even share some of ours with the motocross guys.  Now THAT can be an exciting encounter!  As others have observed, we are the minority and will certainly be the losers if we do not learn to live with mountain bikes.

Ann

Ps:  I think LD’s are sissy-baby rides!   <running and ducking>  LOL