Re: [RC] LD BC - Compromise?? - Diane Trefethen

Truman, you have brought up some very valid points on the allocation of vet resources at a ride. One of the reasons I, for one, haven't given that issue much thought is that the number of LD participants is dramatically lower out here than in your region. When you speak of a ride with 60 LD riders... heck, in years past, a good turnout was 60 riders altogether! Take the Run for the Gold here in Mariposa this year. We had 105 starters, the very highest ever, but only 26 LD starters. In 2004 we had 60 total starters and in 2003, only 46 with 16 LD's. If a ride were to have 60 LD finishers, even a bare 2 mins/horse would represent 2 hours of vet time. To do a really good job you'd need more like 5 mins/horse or 5 hours of vet time. Ouch!

Even so, I still think using a Top Ten finish is not a good choice for a ride that by its nature draws the least experienced of riders to sign up. Still, we DO need some kind of filter if LD continues to grow in popularity - a filter that is easy and quick to apply, doesn't require a vet or other professional and which doesn't have speed as a component. May I suggest the CRI? Though interpreting the results of a CRI test should be done by the LD BC vet, the actual administering of the test could be any member of ride management familiar with the correct procedure, just as we use ride volunteers to do all the pulse-taking in the vet checks. After a horse received its completion from the vet, it would next be presented to the CRI test administrator who would give the test and record the results on the rider's card. The cards would then be turned over to the LD BC vet. Each test would take less than 2 minutes and not require any vet time.

Does that sound like a workable compromise? No speed, no Top Ten placings, no huge drag on the vets' time. An added bonus would be that a horse apparently "just tired" but actually in danger of crashing could be quickly identified so treatment could be started if the vets thought it necessary.