Re: [RC] [RC] LD regional BC - Joe Long

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:36:33 EST, Peggety123@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Joe,
I guess that my big pet peeve about this whole thing is that it has been left
so "grey".  It needs to be "black and white"....none of this "may"....it
should be "must", IMO.

Especially with the regional awards that we have - EVERYONE should have an
opportunity to get an award that they ALL had an opportunity to  compete for.

Peggy Eaton

I appreciate your viewpoint.  Historically, the reason that use of the AERC BC
system is optional is that at the time the AERC was developing our BC system
there were some large and long-established rides that had their own, traditional
system -- such as the Haggins Cup at the Tevis, and the Old Domion Award.  What
some of these rides do today is select both their own and an "AERC" BC.  When
the AERC added the BC year-end awards for LD, many people felt (some quite
strongly) that there should not even be BC awards at LD rides.  Hence the word
"may" offer a BC award instead of "must."  As you probably know, "Politics is
the art of compromise."

I personally do not have a problem with AERC awards being based on something
that individual rides may or may not offer, we all have the opportunity to
choose our rides, and to let the ride managers know if we pass up their ride
because of something they don't offer.  Standardization is necessary in some
things, but too much can stifle innovation and diversity in the sport.

It may indeed, though, be time to revisit the question of requiring
AERC-sanctioned rides to select an AERC BC, even if they only give it a paper
certificate and have an award of their own in addition to the AERC BC.  The
proper place to look into this is in the relevant committees:  the LD Committee
and the Competitions Committee.  Please contact those committees about this.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx