[RC] Disaster plan - Sisu West Ranch

If you expect to have to go a long distance (say with your horses) fuel for your truck. You can safely store diesel with bacteria inhibitor (truck stops or auto parts stores) practically forever. Since it is classified as combustable, you can legally and safely store 50 gal of so in most juristictions. Personally, I have an extra 50 gal tank on my diesel and keep it full whenever I am home.

If you need gasoline, you have more of a problem. Gasoline is classified flammable and thus storing large amounts is dangerous, and not legal in most areas. Find out the rules, and the risk you are willing to take. Gasoline also has a limited shelf life. Gasoline stabilizer can be purchased in auto stores and other stores selling lawn equipment. It will increase the shelf life to 6 months or a bit more. You have to rotate the stock, which is a pain. This consideration shows the hole in my disaster plan. To move my 7 horses I would need to use both trucks. My farm truck is a gas one and is often only partly full.

I guess if push came to shove, I would send Wendy and the diesel with 4 horses and plan on riding and leading a string when I ran out of gasoline.

You also need to consider the possibility that basic social order will break down for awhile, like happened in New Orleans. My personal solution to this is a CCW (conceiled carry weapons) permit, and periodic training at the local rifle & pistol range for all family members.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875