Re: [RC] Spooky Horse - watch the shoulders - magnumsmom

Don, there is more to the "bag on a stick' than just "sacking out"
the horse. What my trainer (he's great btw, thanks everyone) is
doing with my 4yo (1/2 Arab / Appy gelding) is also teaching him
to move his back feet instead of dropping a shoulder when he does
spook away. This is very important (apparently) in riding out a spook.

If your horse learns to drop or lead with a shoulder, he will disappear
out from under you.  Notice the top Rodeo bucking horses... those
shoulders stay square.  If they learn to drop their shoulder(s), that
cowboy doesn't have a chance.  Is that what's called "sunfishing"?

So the point is, don't just "sack out" the horse, but combine it with
directing his feet, solid ground work, teaching him to keep those
shoulders square even leading on the ground, and the head lowering
'calm down' cue that several people here talk about and teach.

From what I can tell this trainer is using is a combination of "Join up"
ala Monty Roberts (but not done the same way... hard to explain), a
bit of Lyons and Parelli type stuff (but not "robot horse"), and a lot of
what looks like Mark Rashid and Common Sense.

I've also had a dressage instructor years ago explain that you need to
ride the horse straight and not let him lead / drop that shoulder out
from between your leg / rein cues to keep a circle round. To me that
sounds like it stems from the same type of idea.

I'll let you know how well this all works for my athletic little 4yo as we
progress. Of course that also will depend on how well *I* work with
him as we progress and how well I do at not "untraining" or spoiling him.
:) :) I do know this one will need a lot more attention and stricter
rules than Blue (who is just a sweet easy going guy). We'll keep track
of how often he dumps me once we get going.

BTW, what this trainer did is work with my little guy for 3 hours and
then he sent him home for me to work with. We go back for another
joint lesson this weekend. This is a really great way to work / learn as
I am learning as much as my horse (and practicing first on Blue).

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM
******************
Don wrote:
Hello Barbara,
You might try "sacking" the horse. A cowboy at the stable taught me
this.
I put the horse on a 15-20 foot lead in a round pen and used a small
plastic
white bag tied to a lunge whip. The object is to worry the horse but
not
enough to make her move away. I started with moving it on the ground
far
from the horse on all sides then closer till she moved then dropped
the whip,
whoa'd the horse, rubbed and talked to her, picked up the whip and
started
again for 10-15 minutes per day. After 3-4 weeks I was running the
bag all
over the horse, legs, back, neck, etc then drop it, rub and talk. The
result
was that the mare would still spook some but not nearly as bad and if
I got a
little warning like a loud trash truck coming I would rub her neck
and talk and
it would calm her some and she would stay in one spot.
Don Huston