Re: [RC] Earle Baxter - Carolyn Burgess

I don't know Earle, but I'm going to bet that he chose his mare (I think he has only one right now) for her temperment and confirmation (and in that order).  You want the one who raises the baby to have brains and a calming disposition to pass on to the babies.  Of my three Standardbreds, all have had great brains and been basically bombproof (with one exception - due to cause and was able to get past the issue).

I only want pacers when I get a Standardbred.  Adds an extra gear (pacers will usually trot, but trotters don't pace) and pacers are faster than trotters.  The only with getting the free mares is that they don't have an issue that they will pass on.   All of my Standardbreds come off the track sound (won't buy one that won't pass a rigorous vet check) so I usually have to pay something for them. However, you can get sound ones for free, depending on the time of year and if you have good connections.

My one question is, why not breed a pure Standardbred for the sport?  Arab was part of the foundation stock for the Standardbred, amongst other breeds, why not just choose ones that will excel on their own?  My new Standardbred mare was retired from racing at 4 for two reasons: inconsistency at winning and she broke in harness. That is the answer I always like to hear when looking at these horses. Most sellers cringe when you ask them if the horse ever broke in harness.  My girl broke twice in the same start.  At 5, she prefers to canter over trotting and almost never paces.  My 14 y.o. who came off the track at 9, didn't really start cantering under saddle until he was 13.

Carolyn Burgess

Jon.Linderman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I know Earle breeds std bred mares to an arab stallion.  Does anyone know him well enough to know if he uses trotting or pacing mares?  The "accidental" arab/std bred crosses I have come across from pacing mares didn't gait & my observation as an owner/trainer of std breds is that the pacing mares "tend" to have more bone.  In my retirement (HA!) I'd love to breed an arab/std bred and can gets mares for nothing, but always wanted ask Earle what he looks for in his mares.

Jon

SturmRanch@xxxxxxx
Sent by: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
11/29/2005 10:30 AM