[RC] spooking - Mom Alexander

I agree with Diane.  I think the majority of the time spooking comes from: boredom (trying to entertain themselves), feeling good/silly from too much "hot" feed or not enough exercise or both, being defiant (trying to get you off).
    My 11 year old QH/Trak. cross will still "spook" at things I know he is not afraid of; fly spray, the saddle pad, the poop fork...but he only does it when I haven't ridden him regularly.  If I let him go more than 2 weeks I know he will be "spooky".  I also think he is being naughty, so when he "spooks" I make him work ( lots of backing up, figure 8's, transitions, anything he thinks is work).  If he truly is afraid of something new, the working will get his mind off the scary thing and back on me, I become bigger than the scary thing.  And if he's just being silly and naughty, the working will be the consequences of his silliness. Very soon the "spooking" will stop because he will know that hard work will follow and it's just not worth the "fun" of spooking.  Now, with this horse anyway, if I feel a "spook" coming on, I give him a stern "Don't even try it!" in my "big, dominant" voice and a swift kick if needed with it, and he stops his spooky behavior.
                                                               Vicki & Beamer