Re: [RC] Last Ass Over the Pass? - MtnRondi

In a message dated 11/23/2005 11:01:22 AM Pacific Standard Time, robin_everett@xxxxxxxxx writes:
is a half marathon that runners run with a four legged ass.  It was started as a loose re-enactment of the old gold miners racing to town with their gold and their mules."

I live in the mountains in So. California and every year there is an "Old Miners Day" celebration with a parade, etc. For several years they had what they called burro races, exactly like you have described. The burros were not very tame and the people had to run (if they could) and lead the burro on a designated trail to the finish line.

They don't do this anymore... the problem with this was that most of the burros were just turned loose after the event. There were herds of wild burros all over the place and they were causing traffic accidents, chewing up people's landscaping, chewing on cabins, etc. BLM finally rounded them all up and took them away. A few escaped and I run into little bands of them every once in a while when I'm out riding.