Re: [RC] Gun Season - rdcarrie

In the past we've mostly avoided the woods during gun season (East Texas).  But it runs from the first weekend in Nov till early January - over 2 months.  *sigh*  This year we just said to heck with it.  After the first week or so of deer season, the hunters really thin out.  So, we've been riding in the Nat. Forest anyway.  We wear orange vests, and this past Sunday hubby put a loud jingle bell on his horse, since it was windy, to make it easier for hunters to hear us.  We try to ride during the middle of the day, but Sunday we got a late start and got back to the truck as dusk.  Still never saw a hunter, or any hunter trucks along the road.  We just decided that we're not going to be run out of the forest during the best time to ride.  We do take a few precautions (vests, bells, try to ride mid-day), but that's it.

Dawn in East Texas

-----Original Message-----
From: Kari Hanes <khanes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:57:46 -0500
Subject: [RC] Gun Season

I did 2 sat & sun ld rides this summer at White River, it about killed me. Doc says I'll be needing a "new" knee if I keep this up! Then I'll be benched for awhile and I'll drive everyone around me bonkers!

Does anyone ride during gun season, if so, what precautions do you take? I'm thinking the sun is shining and I'd really like to take off for a while. Is a hunter orange vest enough? I'll probably stick to the roads and not venture into the woods.

TIA
Kari
Montalee Arabians
Holton, MI

larry Miller wrote:
Kari, I am still waiting for you to ride both Sat and Sun with me and no whining!!  You know, I need someone to keep me on the straight and narrow and besides that, I need to teach you my songs!!  Gun season is almost over.  Yippee!  Jeanie