Re: [RC] Gun Season - Chris Paus

Kari,

I'm still riding 3 years after an orthopod told me I needed a new knee. One word for you. SYNVISC, ok, and glucoasmine and msm and Zeel!

I've had three rounds of synvisc injections and now it's been a year since my last series and my knee really feels pretty good! I do have to have someone trot my horse out at VC for me. As Dane Frazier said, "you make your horse look lame." Or I'll get a comment like, "the horse is fine, but you're a grade 2."

I can ride fine, and post the trot fine, just can't get off the horse and jog.

One of my doctor friends who also is an endurance rider, had me try Zeel. It's a homeaopathic remedy from Germany. It really really helps. I have been on Bextra and all of the drugs in that class, and Zeel helps me much much more and is not going to cause me a heart attack! It's not expensive. You can get it online from several different outlets.

Before the synvisc and zeel, I was sure I did need a new knee. I couldn't even walk across the living room floor without a LOT of pain. Forget stairs. Now I'm pretty mobile.

I'm really reluctant to do the knee replacement thing. My husband has had two in the same knee, needed a revision only two years after the original replacement and he's never been right. I figure I can always opt for the TKR at some point, but once it's done, you can never go back to your old knee!

My new orthopedist agrees. His daughter is an equestrian and he understands my need to keep riding. He agrees that as long as the synvisc is working, let's not cut up my bones and let's let the technology get better.

chris

Kari Hanes <khanes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I did 2 sat & sun ld rides this summer at White River, it about killed me. Doc says I'll be needing a "new" knee if I keep this up! Then I'll be benched for awhile and I'll drive everyone around me bonkers!

Does anyone ride during gun season, if so, what precautions do you take? I'm thinking the sun is shining and I'd really like to take off for a while. Is a hunter orange vest enough? I'll probably stick to the roads and not venture into the woods.

TIA
Kari
Montalee Arabians
Holton, MI

larry Miller wrote:
Kari, I am still waiting for you to ride both Sat and Sun with me and no whining!!  You know, I need someone to keep me on the straight and narrow and besides that, I need to teach you my songs!!  Gun season is almost over.  Yippee!  Jeanie

"Kindness is the mightiest force in the world.
Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com