Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.3195 LDs - Chipnml

I don't have as much experience as you,Jody, but I agree with everything you said.  Here in the Midwest LD is an accepted discipline in its own right.  There are riders that will probably not do longer distances, and are still respected as serious competitors.  We often have riders that switch their horses around between CTR, LD and endurance depending on their training goals(we hold all three over the same weekend).  However, I don't think they should be combined.  They are two different disciplines with corresponding levels of difficulty.  From my personal perspective, it would be to my advantage, since Cheers is about 300 miles short of his 3000, and probably will not do 50's again.  However, I would NOT want to accrue the rest of my mileage doing 25's.  It's not the same and I would feel like I'd cheated.  I would rather stop at 2700 endurance miles and be proud of what we've accomplished over 13 difficult years.

Chip