Re: [RC] racing/25milers - Susan, Princess of Pink

Ginger,

It is on paper in the form of a rule.  ALL distances have a specific amount of time...INCLUDING all hold times.  So, if your ride has a 45 minute hold, you have 5:15 of riding time left.  If a 50 has 2:00 of hold times, we have 10 hours of riding time left.

The time given (IE 6 hours for a 25; 12 hours for a 50) is based on a little faster than 4 mph pace.  Once you take hold times out, you have to average about a 5 mph pace.  That is VERY doable.

If you've participated in a ride that does not include hold times in the time allowed, that RM doesn't understand the rules as written.

As to LDers racing: that's based more upon the front runners blasting past the end of the 50 milers that had a 30 minute head start.  These are antidotes from endurance riders and not some made-up fantasy.  I can only speak for myself when I say I do NOT worry about anyone racing.  That's your business.

I just gave blood and am now going riding.  The nurse told me I can't lift, haul, pull, push or smoke so riding is just about the only thing left I'm allowed to do.   Oh...I can eat.  Eat and ride...ride and eat.  What else is there?

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: ginger bill orrinandginger@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A lot of people worry about the 25 mile riders racing. The way I see it, of course they are, however, most are not competing against each other, but are just trying to make the cut-off time. Anytime you put a time limit on an event you force the issue of over-riding. The 25 milers have less time to comlete the ride than the 50 milers. Some rides deduct the hold times whereas, others do not, therefore the 25 milers have to complete in 5 hours or less, depending on the holds. If you do not wish the 25 milers to race, don't put the pressure on them to race. Lets all get on the same sheet of paper for starters. Thank you

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)